Career development can be interpreted as staffing activities to help employees plan for future careers where they work. So that the employees concerned and also the company can develop themselves optimally. Career development is an effort that must be done so that career plans that have been made bring optimal results. Career development is a series of lifelong activities that contribute to exploring the determination of success and fulfillment.
Career development is the task of organizations to form relationships with people who manage their careers because careers are made up of changes between individuals and organizations. Individuals plan their careers to improve their status and salary, ensure job safety and maintain their market capabilities in a changing labor market. Success at work can have a major influence on family life and the company environment. Therefore the benefits of career development will help achieve organizational goals and individual goals, which means strengthening relationships and employee loyalty attitudes toward the organization so that organizational programs will be achieved.
The success of these individual goals is not entirely experienced by employees, there is no positive correlation between IQ and success at work and in personal relationships, the brightest and best person is not always successful, it still depends on how to make the best choices from the various choices that are contained in the work environment. It is not entirely that the employee’s career will be in accordance with the career path, it must still be met between the interests of the organization with the interests of individual employees and how much competition will select employees who already have capabilities and experience. However, poor development programs can cause unrest in the organization and have a negative impact on the company
Career development depends on the interaction of two “power” factors, namely personal ambition and organizational needs. The more junior a person is, the more his personal needs and ambitions will be a major factor in his growth and career direction. When he reaches senior or top levels in the management hierarchy, the organization’s needs will usually have a major influence on his career development.
In the longer term, self-development needs to be linked to one’s career plan, depending on which direction someone wants to develop, according to a self-determined time scale. Some definitions of career development are: Career development is a sequence (sequence) of positions or positions occupied by someone during a certain lifetime.
This understanding places the position or position of a worker within a company organization, as part of a series and the positions or positions that he occupies during his lifetime. or stop or be dismissed or because of death, because this understanding is seen in terms of a position or position that is outside oneself of a worker, it is also called an objective understanding. Career development is a change in attitudes and motivational values that occur in a person because with the addition or increase in age it becomes more mature. This understanding shows that the focus of career development is the improvement of mental abilities, which occurs because of the increase in age of mental development that can also take place as long as a person is an employee in an organization or company that is tangible through the implementation of work that becomes the main task. Because the change is related to the mental processes within each worker as an individual, it is also called the subjective notion
Understanding careers is a business that is carried out formally and sustainably with a focus on increasing and increasing the ability of a worker. From the three definitions of career development mentioned above, it can be seen that the first and second meanings acknowledge a career that is individual, is part of the provisions of one’s fate as a human being.
There are 6 (six) career development activities that can be carried out by each individual as follows:
- Job performance. The most important activity to advance a career is good work performance because it underlies all other career development activities. Career progress greatly depends on work performance.
- Exposure. Career progress is also determined by exposure means becoming known by people who decide on promotions, transfers, and other career opportunities. Without exposure, employees who perform well may not get the chance to achieve their career goals.
- The request stopped. This is a way to achieve career goals if there is a career opportunity elsewhere so that with the stop request, the person concerned can move to another place of duty or work.
- Organizational loyalty. Loyalty in organizations where a person is on duty or works also determines the progress of the career in question. Low organizational loyalty is generally found in new scholars (who have high expectations, but Bering is disappointed with their first assignment) and professionals (whose first loyalty to their profession).
- Mentors and sponsors. Mentors or informal career coaches, if they are successful in guiding employees’ careers or further developing their careers, can be their sponsors
- Opportunity to grow. This happens, if employees improve their abilities, for example through training programs development courses, and others.